Saturday 16 May 2015

Wow! I cannot believe it's nearly the end of May, so much has been happening this Spring with exhibitions at Cannon Hall in Barnsley, Gallery No 4 in St Abbs restocking at All Good Stuff and Cupola Gallery in Sheffield, getting work ready for Open Up Sheffield and planning for the Collagraph print workshop I'm holding in June and even amongst all that I've managed to do a couple of new prints too.

It was great to take part in Open Up Sheffield again, its such a fantastic event and really gives you an opportunity to talk none stop about your work, my throat was fairly sore after the weekend but I really enjoyed it. This year I was invited to take part at All Good Stuff, Butchers Works on Arundel Street in Sheffield and spent a lovely three days in their workshop space behind the shop with some very talented makers:

Linda Baxter from the Blackfish Press
Joanna Mathewson from Faerie Filigree
Natalie Burton Illustrator


 
 
It was a really busy weekend and we had lots of visitors all very interested in the work we were producing, and having the opportunity to work alongside other creatives instead of in isolation, apart from the radio, was great. I set up with my small mobile (ish!) Gerstacker printing press which proved a good starting point for people to ask questions and took loads of Collagraph plates with me to help explain the process better.
 
 

Working on the edition in my temporary studio at All Good Stuff
 
 
Rock Pool. Collagraph Print. 
 
 
The Rock Pool print above is one of the prints I worked on during the Open Up Sheffield weekend, the image is 14cmm x 14cm and in an edition of twenty, printed on Fabriano Rosapina 285gsm acid free paper, and fortunately there were no public printing disasters during the event as the plate printed really well - you never really know until you start inking and printing how a plate is going to turn out but I am more than happy with the results and I think the visitors over the weekend enjoyed watching me pulling the print through the press.
 
Once back in my studio, and inspired by the success of the Open Up weekend, I made a completely new collagraph plate using textured papers and mount card of a moon gazing hare. The image again measures 14cm x 14cm, printed onto Fabriano paper using predominantly Prussian Blue. There will be a small edition of twenty prints from this plate hopefully once I finish the editioning.
 
 
 
Moon Gazing Hare
 
 
I will be taking both of these new prints with me across the border into Derbyshire next bank holiday weekend when I am really excited to be taking part in the inaugural Arts Festival at the Old Station Gallery in Rowsley.
 



 
 
I'm not taking the press with me this time but I will be doing some stitching up of handmade books whilst I'm there (more to follow on this subject in my next post) but I will share a picture of a few here for you now.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment